Q: What is most important to know about filtering?
A: Support: Any company you choose to filter through, make sure to contact them when something goes wrong. Use all sorts of communication like email or their call center- there is no reason to feel frustrated while using a filter.
Q: What will I lose on my phone after installing a filter?
A: Nothing! Any filter can be customized to your needs. If you choose a stronger level of filtering, then you will have less access. If you choose a lighter level of filtering, you will have more access.
Q: If I decide to remove the filter, will my device be the same?
Q: Does the filter break my phone?
Q: Will speed be affected after I put a filter?
- Yes. A short lag of a second or two is as long as it should take to load a page on a browser or an app. However, the lag is dependent on which program you’re using and how strong your settings are.
- In any case, the speed is never a reason for a person to remove a filter as is it only takes an extra second or two.
- A lag of more than 5 seconds should be discussed with your filtering provider
Q: Will installation affect my device warranties?
Q: Will I be able to update the device software?
Q: What do I check if sites or apps are not opening or getting a connection error?
A: First check the following:
- Is your cellular data on?
- Are you connected to wifi? Is airplane mode off?
- Did you miss a payment to the filtering company? They usually block the internet in such instances.
- Was your filter installed correctly?
- Does the device have the latest software update?
- Is the app updated?
- Is the app allowed in your filtering settings?
Q: What if I called the filtering company and the site or app is still not opening?
- Restart the app
- Try a different website
- Restart the device (Turn off your device and then turn it back on)
- Clear cached data (Advanced technique for Android only. Go to Settings>storage> device storage> select cached data and click OK to delete)
If these steps don’t help then click here for support.
Q: What do I do when I get a blocked page?
A: Every blocked page has a request option to fill in. Once you submit a request, you wait for the company to allow it.
Q: What do I do if the App store is not able to download applications?
A: Usually that means the filter is blocking the app store. Therefore, call support to open the app store. Make sure you have data first.
Q: What do I do if I’m having trouble connecting to the wifi network?
A: Some secured networks will conflict with filtering companies. e.g. hotels’, hospitals’ and planes’ wifi.
To fix, go to your filter app and look for a tab of “Public wifi” or “captive networking” and click on it. Then sign in to the network.
Q: What can filters do?
- Filter sites
- Filter YouTube titles and categories
- Block explicit music in Apple Music
- Filter picture icons on Spotify
Q: What are filters not capable of?
- Cannot filter streaming video, but can filter YouTube titles and categories
- Cannot block the ads in YouTube video
- Cannot remove the picture icons on Apple Music, but can block the explicit music
- Cannot filter the explicit on Spotify, but can filter the picture icons
- Instagram, Telegram, Amazon, & Snapchat APPs cannot be filtered. However, sites can be filtered
Privacy & Security
Q: Are the filtering companies HIPAA compliant?
A: The filtering companies are HIPAA compliant, however there is no official certificate as it is costly to do so.
Q: Can the filtering companies see my private login passwords to banking information?
A: No! Banking sites and the like, don’t allow any third-party proxy to access this information, so filters are bypassed for all secured sites so all data remains encrypted.
Q: Are filtering companies monitoring what i do on my device?
A: No. The filters we recommend don’t offer or perform any monitoring services whatsoever. Any data that is logged, is under strict regulation, used exclusively for troubleshooting purposes – when sites and apps need to be fixed for end users. This data is destroyed when it’s no longer needed.
Q: How worried should I be about being spammed by the filter company?
A: Our utmost concern is the privacy and security of those doing what’s right.
We therefore did extensive research on this topic. We feel very comfortable stating that filtering companies do not pose a threat more than any other apps that are being downloaded to a device. And doing the right thing is the best protection for yourself.
Still didn’t find the answers you’re looking for?
Technology isn’t perfect.
Neither are filtering solutions. Workable solutions do exist, though!
Most filter issues can be resolved by calling your filter provider directly
TAG offers extended technical support call-in hours
Our troubleshooting tips can help you resolve most issues